Everyone goes through difficult dark times in their life at some point in time and when it happens it can be a real challenge to remain positive and hopeful. My photography instructor instructed our group to capture hope in a photograph for a friend who has been diagnosed with breast cancer During this assignment I found myself reflecting upon personal experiences where I found and held onto hope. Here are a couple of the images I made. I challenge you to take some time to think about this word - Hope - and what it means to you. How have you survived difficult times in the past? Is there a special person, or people, in your life that you focus on? Does your faith bring you a hopeful feeling? Or is it something totally different that helps you to maintain hopefulness? You might do some brainstorming in a journal and then think about how you would capture hope in a photograph. I hope this exercise reminds you of all that you hope for, to draw upon for strength, through the more difficult life challenges.
Today is winter solstice, the shortest day and longest night of the year; the time when the earths axis tilts farthest from the sun. For anyone who experiences the "winter blues", or some degree of seasonal affective disorder (SAD), spending more time outdoors and getting light is one option (among others) to help treat the winter blues and photography is the perfect excuse to get out into the light. If you live where there is snow and it is cold, just bundle up and get out there making photographs. Not only will you get more light, but it is a great opportunity to photograph the beauty of the season. And remember, starting tomorrow the days are getting longer and spring is on it's way.


Comments
Post a Comment