Joy Finds Us When We Pay Attention
- A moment that made me stop.
While out for a walk during my break from work, I laughed out loud at a bulldog standing in a muddy puddle.
It wasn't doing anything extraordinary. It was simply standing there, looking completely content, surrounded by ripples as if it had discovered the best place in the world and it owned the space. I wasn't looking for the perfect photograph either.
That was the first unexpected gift on my walk. Within that time I laughed at a bulldog standing proudly in a muddy puddle. I followed the smell of cinnamon into a bakery that had just opened on the nearby corner, and bought a warm cinnamon bun that was every bit as delicious as it smelled. A few blocks later I stopped again because the scent of flowers drifted toward me before I even saw the garden. None of these moments were remarkable on their own. But together they changed my day.
They made me realize something I've been thinking about ever since.
Joy is something we discover, not something we chase.
I think we sometimes believe joy lives in vacations, celebrations and extraordinary experiences. Those moments matter. But there's another kind of joy that quietly lives in ordinary afternoons, neighbourhood walks and unexpected encounters.
The interesting part is this: none of those moments would have happened if I had stayed inside.
Joy didn't come knocking on my office door.
I had to step outside. I had to be paying attention.
I've started wondering if we underestimate these small moments because they don't feel dramatic.
A laugh at a funny dog.
The smell of cinnamon.
The fragrance of flowers.
They don't change our lives in an instant.
But perhaps they change the texture of an ordinary day.
And maybe a life is shaped, little by little, by noticing more moments like these.
Today's Noticing Invitation and Journal Prompt
Go for a 20-minute Delight Walk.
Don't look for beautiful photographs.
Instead, notice anything that makes you:
smile,
laugh,
stop,
breathe a little deeper,
or become curious.
Photograph three moments of delight.
Then finish this sentence in your journal:
"Today, delight found me when..."
Comments
Post a Comment